1. Who can visit Belize?Any traveler is permitted to visit Belize at this time. All travelers must: download the Belize Health App and input the required information no more than 72 hours prior to landing in Belize, and bring along a negative Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of arrival in Belize, OR take a Covid-19 test upon arrival if you are unable to bring a negative PCR test.
2. Where can I find the Belize Health App?The Belize Health App is available for download via APK file for Android (version 1.09 or newer) and in the App Store. The App can also be downloaded via https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety. The App can be downloaded at any time prior to your trip to Belize, but your information should be entered no more than 72 hours prior to your arrival in Belize. Once complete, you’ll receive a unique travel ID and QR code; it is recommended that you take a screenshot of this to show the Health Officer upon arrival in Belize.
3. I do not have a smartphone / not traveling with a phone. How will I be able to register for the Belize Health App?If you don’t have a smart phone, the App can also be downloaded to a tablet.
4. Where can I find a list of all the countries approved for entry to Belize? The Government of Belize (GOB) does not currently have any travel bans in place. We encourage you to visit www.travelbelize.orgregularly for updates on Covid-19, as the situation remains fluid.
5. What specific measures are being taken in Belize to protect visitors from contracting the virus? The country’s primary concern is to assure both travellers and residents that Belize’s tourism product is safer than ever before. A series of new enhanced health and safety protocols have been put in place to protect visitors, Belizeans, and our communities. These include:
Mandatory use of face masks in public spaces
Enforcement of social distancing measures in public spaces and capacity restrictions at restaurants (currently 50%), grocery stores, retail stores, etc.
Introduction of the “Tourism Gold Standard Program” for accommodation and tour operators, and other tourism entities which include gift shops, tourism transportation providers (domestic airlines, car rentals, and taxis), restaurants, and tourism sites.
The Gold Standard program seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product. Some of these new measures include:
Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
Hand sanitizing stations
Enhanced cleaning and increased sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces
Capacity restrictions for all tourism sites to ensure social distancing can be maintained
Smaller tour groups to provide a more intimate tour experience
Gold Standard entities can be easily identified by looking for the Gold Standard Certificate or Safety seal. 6. If I am unable to take a PCR test prior to traveling to Belize, will I be required to test upon arrival? If so, what is the cost of the test? Yes, we recommended that you bring along a Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT PCR) Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of your flight to Belize. Bringing along your PCR test result will provide for a ‘fast track’ arrival process; depending on the results of your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing. If you are unable bring along a PCR test, you will be required to take a Covid test upon arrival; the cost is US$50.00. Only cash is accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available in the Health Testing Unit
7. If I test positive at the airport, will I be able to get a flight back out of Belize without having to be placed in quarantine? No. All arriving passengers who test positive at the international airport will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the passengers’ expense. It is therefore recommended that you explore the possibility of acquiring travel insurance prior to your trip to Belize.
8. Will children (under 16 years old) be required to present a negative PCR test or be tested upon arrival as well? Yes. Currently children aged 5 years and older are being tested in Belize. As the situation remains fluid, protocols are subject to change. Any passenger who tests positive upon arrival will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the travellers expense.
9. How do I get from the airport to my hotel; are there certified transportation providers? Yes. Your hotel may offer airport pick-up services depending on their location. Only approved transportation providers are permitted and at this time include the two domestic airlines, car rentals and taxis*. We recommend that you liaise with your hotel to learn more about how you will arrive at your hotel. *Please visit belizetourismboard.org/industry-sectors/tourism-gold-standard-entities/ For a complete list of approved Gold Standard certified entities.
10. Upon arrival in Belize, what will the Immigration and Customs process entail? Enhanced health and safety measures have been adapted to protect both officers and arriving passengers. Some of these measures include protective barriers to reduce contact between the officers and the passengers, kiosks for scanning of passports upon entry, luggage scanners in the Customs Hall, and safety barriers where inspection of luggage is required.
11. How long should I anticipate getting through arrivals? Processing time varies depending on the result of your health screening and Covid-19 test results.
12. Can I stay at a non-Gold Standard accommodation? At this time, all tourists must book their stay at a Gold Standard hotel. The list of Gold Standard hotels can be found at https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
13. Am I required to wear a mask; if yes where? Yes. By law, all citizens and visitors to Belize must wear a face mask when in public spaces.
14. What should I do if I start to exhibit symptoms during my vacation? If you start to exhibit any Covid-19 symptoms, immediately notify your hotel’s front desk, and they will implement their Covid Response Plan. Should you develop symptoms, and test positive for the virus while in country, you will be required to quarantine for a minimum of 14-days at your expense. It is highly recommended that you obtain travel insurance prior to departure in the event that you become sick while on vacation.
15. If someone at the resort where I’m staying tests positive for COVID-19, would everyone be quarantined for 14 days? This is dependent on the Ministry of Health’s contact tracing exercise. The hotel will utilize its communication plan to advise of any necessary steps to be taken.
16. Are there still restrictions on movement for tourists? Tourists visiting Belize can move about freely, however it is recommended that they remain within the Tourism Safe Corridor. The Safe Corridor includes Gold Standard certified accommodations, tour operators, tourism transportation providers, restaurants, tourism sites and attractions, and gift shops. These Gold Standard and certified entities have all been trained and have implemented enhanced health and safety measures.
17. If we are visiting Belize for an extended stay (12 months) will we still be required to download the Belize Health App? Yes. All persons entering the country are required to download the Belize Health App despite the length of your intended stay.
18. Is a digital copy of my negative PCR Covid-19 test acceptable? An official email or other correspondence from the facility where your PCR test was taken with your name, and clearing indicating your result will suffice as proof of your negative test. We highly recommend that you take a screenshot of the test results to facilitate processing with Health Officials.
19. If several people on the same flight tests positive, what happens to the other passengers who were also on that flight? Should several passengers test positive from the same flight, the Ministry of Health will activate its contact tracing exercises. This is why downloading the Belize Health App is a mandatory entry requirement for the country.
20. Can I visit multiple Gold Standard Resorts during my visit to Belize? Yes. You can spend time at several different approved Gold Standard resorts during your time in Belize. Transfers to each resort can be arranged by the property and carried out by a Gold Standard tour operator or certified provider.
21. Will passengers also be tested when they depart the country? No. Passengers are only tested upon arrival to Belize.
22. Where can get I get a Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Covid-19 test? You will need to contact your local health authorities to find the nearest Covid testing facility as well as to determine the approximate time frame for receiving results.